Author: Annette Malave, SVP/Insights, RAB
Artificial intelligence. Autonomous vehicles. Robotic pets. It is easy to become enamored with technology and the latest gadgets, because they provide us with something that we didn’t know we needed or wanted. However we have also seen some technology or gadgets that some thought would be the next hottest thing, fizzle out.
Despite these tech advances, people today still use and appreciate the value of Radio. At its core, Radio remains relevant and prevalent, regardless of the device or platform used to tune in.
Here are some of the numbers that highlight Radio’s role and use in today’s fast-tech world.
- 228.5 million – number of adults 18+ reached by Radio every week
- 12.9 – number of hours spent with Radio by adults 18+
- 106 – daily minutes spent tuned into Radio by Blacks 18+
- 9 in 10 – Hispanics who use digital audio platforms or services to stream Radio
- 85% – Radio’s weekly reach of teens (12-17-year-olds)
- 44% – percentage of millennials who are addicted to their favorite FM station
- 33% – percentage of Gen Zers who listen to Radio weekday from 3 p.m.- 7 p.m.
- 27% – percentage of millennials who are addicted to their favorite AM station
- 24% – share of time spent listening to broadcast Radio on a smart speaker
- 21% – percentage of adults who use in-car voice assistants to play a Radio station
There is no doubt that technology will continue to impact how we shop, drive and complete our daily tasks, but radio will always here. Numbers never lie.
What are some of the numbers you like to share about radio? We’d love to hear from you.
Sources: 1 Nielsen Total Audience Report February 2020; 2 H Code, 2020 Hispanic Digital Fact Pack; 3 NuVoodoo Ratings Prospect Study, February 2020; 4 Sensis Agency, We are Gen Z, 2019; 5 Edison Research and NPR, Smart Audio Report, Winter 2019; 6 voicebot.ai, In-Car Voice Assistant Consumer Adoption Report, January 2020